Winter jackets are usually waterproof
Buying advice for winter jackets
What different winter jackets are there?
There are many different types of jackets in our winter jackets category. As different as they may be at times, they all serve to keep you ahead of the winter To protect against cold and to keep you really warm. Some winter jackets are waterproof and also protect you from the (snow) rain, some are special light, some are special robust. Which winter jacket is right for you depends, as always, on the area of application, your requirements for the jacket and your personal preferences.
Here is an overview of the types of jackets you will find in winter jackets and what this jacket is suitable for. They all have one thing in common: They are "permanently" lined, i.e., unlike double jackets, you cannot remove the lining. You will find the double jackets in our own category. They also have their own purchase advice.
Wind and waterdensity Winter jackets, coats and parkas
The main advantage of these jackets and coats is that they not only keep you warm, but also dry, even in cold, wet, really rainy weather. There are robust & fashionable to sporty winter jackets and winter coats for everyday life and, depending on the style, also for winter outdoor activities (for example downhill skiing or snowball fights). The look and feel of the outer material is usually comparable to that of a rain jacket.
The wadding (or feeding or filling) these winter jackets and winter coats usually consists of either Down or off Synthetic fiber.
What are the advantages and properties of down or a synthetic fiber filling?
Down is special light at very good heat outputthat's what she is for sensitive to moisture. A Synthetic fiber filling is a touch heavier with comparable heat output, that's what it is for insensitive to moisture and essential easier to care for.
In the case of a waterproof outer material, the disadvantage of down, namely the sensitivity to moisture, does not matter. On the other hand, these types of jackets are usually not trimmed to an ultra-light weight, so that the positive argument for down, namely the lightness, is not necessarily relevant. Especially since the synthetic fiber padding is not heavy, just heavier compared to down ...
The advantage of a waterproof winter jacket with synthetic fiber filling is that it is very easy to care for.
The padding can be of different thicknesses and therefore of different warmth. You can find the information about the thickness of the padding (as far as we have it) in the respective product description under the technical details under "Fill weight". In the case of down jackets, this is simply an indication of grams; for filler fibers, you will find an indication of g / m².
Windproof, waterrepellent Winter jackets, coats and parkas
This means, for example, jackets and coats made of the popular G-1000 and similar, fabric-like and robust materials. Heavily milled wool also falls into this category. These winter jackets suitable for everyday use offer a change from the waterproof winter jackets due to the different look and feel of the outer material. The water-repellent property means that the jacket will keep you dry in a short, light rain shower. In principle, the material has no problem with snow.
The padding in these winter jackets usually also consists of one Synthetic fiber (sometimes in the form of a lambskin imitation). But there are also variants with wool filling, for example the Singi Wool Parka by Fjällräven.
- If they are really thick and warmly lined, these jackets, parkas and coats are perfect for everyday winter life in crisp, cold temperatures below zero, where it would only snow and not rain anyway.
- If the padding or lining is less thick, these jackets are perfect for dry, mild winter days or cold autumn days.
Lightweight, windproof winter jackets and winter coats with soft outer material
The rather thin, comparatively soft and windproof outer material of these light winter jackets offers a further change from the solid outer materials described so far. Many of these jackets are great for that Onion principle, i.e. when it rains you just put a rain jacket over it, when it is really cold, you can simply combine two jackets of this type or put something really warm underneath. The advantage: You can react flexibly to different cold temperatures and do not overheat so quickly when you are in motion.
Here, too, there are two different main forms of filling: With Down lined jackets or with one Synthetic fiber like Primaloft padded jackets. As already mentioned, down jackets have the best warmth-to-weight ratio (nothing is as light and at the same time as warm as down), but they are sensitive to moisture. The synthetic fiber padding is insensitive to moisture, easy to care for and dry quickly. High-quality padding is only slightly heavier with the same thermal output compared to down. So here it is important for you to see which properties are important and decisive for you.
Padding with padding is another option Wool from different manufacturers. Wool provides excellent warmth and is a renewable and therefore sustainable raw material.
You can, for example, take this type of winter jacket with you when you travel in a small package. Depending on the variant, these light jackets are also perfect to have packed small with you on winter hikes and other outdoor activities and to put on when necessary (lower temperature, less activity during the break or at the tent).
The disadvantage: you are not protected from the rain with these light jackets. In temperatures below zero you don't care, these jackets get along well in snow. Simply knock the snowflakes off the material in between. Otherwise there are jackets for dry days, which are also available in abundance! In the onion principle, you simply pull a rain jacket over these jackets, as I said.
A thin outer material naturally also means a less robust outer material compared to the other winter jackets presented. It's just a matter of knowing. The advantage is clearly in the low weight and the small pack size.
These jackets also have different thicknesses of padded jackets. As already described, you can find the information on the filling weight in the technical details of the respective jacket.
For both men and women, we have a separate section for down jackets only (in addition to winter jackets). There you will find all jackets with down filling, from thin down jackets to thick down jackets to waterproof down jackets. The thin down jackets in particular are very popular. There is also a separate buying guide for down jackets.
Both Winter jackets you can only find the down jackets that are thick enough to keep you nice and warm in winter.
Which features are important for winter jackets?
You know best how your jacket should be equipped. Here are a few features:
- Hoods are particularly pleasant in winter. Even if you wear a hat, that is still a portion of extra warmth on top. Make sure the hood is cut well so that it doesn't restrict your field of vision. An easy-to-use volume control, which you can even adjust with gloves, is a great advantage, especially in winter
- A high one Stand-up collarthat is neither too narrow nor too wide offers good protection from the cold and wind
- Size Bagsthat not only have enough space for your hands, but maybe also a few utensils. Some pockets are lined with thin microfleece on the inside, which warm up cold fingers particularly quickly
- ADrawstring in the hem, which you can draw really well in very cold or strong winds, ensures that little heat escapes.
- A good Adjustabilityat the wrist, such as a high-quality Velcro fastener, guarantee on the one hand that no heat escapes. On the other hand, you are flexible and can wear your gloves on your wrist either over or under your jacket. Some winter jackets also have an integrated cuff that keeps the wrist warm and ensures that the sleeve cannot slip
- Some jackets come with one Snow skirt fitted. This prevents (powder) snow from penetrating and is particularly interesting for alpine skiing. An elastic insert in the jacket can optionally be closed at the front with press studs.
- The Length of the jacket is also an important aspect - the shorter, the lighter and the less your freedom of movement is restricted. But if weight is not important at all, a slightly longer parka or even a coat / short coat can be worth gold, because then the buttocks and, if necessary, the thighs are warmed. Does the product have a 2-way zipper, you can also open the zipper from below if, for example, you need more freedom of movement.
Which winter jacket do I need for sporting activities?
For very active, ambitious use it is worthwhile, especially in winter, with theOnion principle to work. This means pulling several layers, such as wool underwear, a fleece jacket or wool jacket, a padded jacket (synthetic fiber or down) and a hardshell (rain jacket) or softshell on top of each other and thus combining them with one another. You can find information on the individual product categories in the respective purchase advice. The advantage: You can react very flexibly to different temperatures and different sweat-inducing activities and omit or add individual layers.
Just athigh-intensity winter activities like ice climbing, sporty snowshoe tours or backcountry tours, it is important to work with individual, flexibly combinable layers and under no circumstances with a thick winter jacket.
- How can student discount cards be used
- When do data mining results violate privacy?
- Can baked sweet potatoes be frozen?
- How does family therapy work
- Who created the UI design for Circle
- Can people survive ingesting salmonella?
- What would happen if Catalonia declared independence?
- How can Blackbeard eat two devil fruits
- Why does the truth destroy illusions
- What did high school teach you
- How do small local banks make money?
- How to become a Spotify artist
- What is a mezzanine connection
- How do managers manage their projects
- What do millionaires think about poverty?
- Can human taste be criticized
- What is the runtime delay
- Why does a person become an IAS
- Cytokines are proteins
- Which jobs are safe from technological progress?
- Why doesn't Jungkook like me
- What are the funniest Madea movies from
- Are there actually street surgeons
- How can space go on forever
- What is the pronunciation of Vujicic
- Who is better AI or humans
- Why did you stop playing Overwatch
- What spiritual gifts should a pastor have?
- What's the weather like in NIT Uttarakhand
- People take Antifa seriously
- You can lose data to cloud services
- Has Spartan elitism finally doomed Sparta to failure?
- What are some approaches to asset accounting