Why do I feel special because of it
Beware of these early warning signs of burnout
The term “burn-out” comes from English and means “to burn out”. People who suffer from burnout experience a state of extreme emotional and physical exhaustion. This is mainly triggered by chronic excessive demands, both at work and in private life. It is estimated that up to 13 million employees in Germany are affected by burnout.
Typical symptoms are persistent exhaustion, declining performance, social withdrawal and a feeling that many affected describe as "inner emptiness". "In order not to get into this state in the first place, it is important to observe yourself regularly," recommends Jacob Drachenberg, trainer for healthy stress management. "How do I feel? Am I stressed, possibly overwhelmed? "
Typical early warning signs of burnout
"When things are difficult for you that you don't normally think about, that's a clear sign," says the trained psychologist. “It can be private and professional. For example, one is in the supermarket and no longer knows where what is or what exactly is to be bought. Or that on the job a task that is otherwise done in ten minutes takes a whole hour. "
Burn-out is often associated with social withdrawal. "Meetings with friends and family members are no longer a resource from which we draw energy, but a burden," says stress trainer Drachenberg, who also holds workshops in companies. "If actually nice activities suddenly seem exhausting and stressful, then you should pay attention."
After exhausting times, everyone needs an individual phase of recovery in order to recharge their energy stores. “Imagine trying to relax, neither body nor mind actually have anything to do. And yet you cannot switch off. That is the first step into the vicious circle. ”Those who cannot recover have less energy, make more mistakes, have even more stress, and cannot recover. In order not to get into this cycle in the first place, pay attention to the following early warning signs:
- Difficulty making simple decisions
- Long pondering without finding a solution
- Having less time for your own needs, e.g. sports, hobbies
- Feeling of not being able to switch off anymore
- Trouble sleeping
- Conspicuous eating behavior
- Increased tobacco and alcohol consumption
- a headache
- Back pain
- Chest tightness
“It is not easy to recognize such early warning signs in yourself. Especially if you are already partially burned out, ”says Drachenberg. The stress expert has developed a method to activate and simplify self-awareness. “With the TrackMyDay system, you can observe your behavior and your emotional world for 30 days, and you can document both using 25 parameters,” explains Drachenberg. "When performance and mood decline, it becomes clear."
Anyone who discovers early warning signs in themselves should not hesitate to act. “If a warning light flashes on our car, we immediately send it to the workshop. If, on the other hand, our mental and physical emergency signals light up, we often resort to provisional solutions, for example alcohol, headache pills or energy drinks, ”warns Drachenberg. “But the problems don't go away.” He explains even more about early warning signs in an episode of his podcast.
If you notice that you can no longer cope with your problems on your own, be sure to talk to your doctor about it. If necessary, he can refer you to a psychologist or psychotherapist. You can find an expert in your area here. The telephone counseling also helps with email and chat advice as well as free calls on 0800/1110111 or 0800/1110222.
- What are frontal lobe seizures
- What is web analytics for beginners
- Who are the rudest WhatsApp users
- What is a white label partnership
- How do squeeze discs work
- Do the Irish queue like the British do
- What qualifies a film as a blockbuster
- Who is the Beatles song Michelle about?
- Which marketing tool has MMS replaced?
- Why do I like to look at myself
- What can you two do for one
- What is the synonym for prudent
- What is the Junto Collective
- What makes something cheap
- Which smartphone model does Warren Buffett use?
- Are time loops real
- What is a door
- The GTU increases its passing grade
- How do FM stations generate their income
- Bitcoin will never exceed USD 6,000 again
- Which is better concrete or earthen dam
- What are some examples of false analogy
- How can the frame rate be minimized
- What are apoenzymes
- Can you explain platonic concepts
- What are some famous dishes in Paris
- What if you use microwave paper
- How can I stop growing out of relationships
- Ronnie Coleman regrets taking steroids
- How intentional are you in life
- Queen Elizabeth II riding horses
- Quantitative finance is a dying field
- Do football coaches also need agents
- Is NativeScript the best for mobile development