Causes third hand vaping smoke
E-cigarettes: how harmful is passive smoking?
Passive smoking poses a health hazard - it can, among other things, increase the risk of cancer. Researchers have now investigated whether "vaping" e-cigarettes also has effects similar to tobacco smoke.
Cigarettes give off smoke - and e-cigarettes give off steam. Hardly anyone who passively smokes electronic cigarettes would have thought about what they inhale when standing next to someone who is pulling one.
One thing is certain: secondhand smoke from cigarettes can promote cardiovascular disease and lung cancer and is associated with an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome. The German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) explains this on its website. "Worldwide, around six million people die each year as a result of smoking. In Germany, this would mean that around 120,000 deaths a year can be attributed to smoking," the center continues.
Advertisements often point out that e-cigarettes, on the other hand, contain fewer harmful substances than normal cigarettes or similar tobacco products. But is that true?
Hazardous substances also in e-cigarette vapor
Experts at the Mayo Clinic in the USA have researched what the health risks posed by passive smoking from e-cigarettes look like.
When people smoke tobacco products, a variety of chemicals are released into the air. It is these chemicals, not the addictive nicotine, that are dangerous. "The dangerous thing is the other 6,000 ingredients in tobacco smoke, and they are created because tobacco is burned," says Dr. Taylor Hays, director of the Mayo Clinic's Nicotine Addiction Center.
With flavors like vanilla, cinnamon, and grapes, e-cigarettes smell much better than a burning tobacco product, but that doesn't mean they're safe. "These small particles that vapors inhale are also released into the atmosphere. If they irritate the lungs - and we know that this is the case with people who vape - then there are likely to be irritants with passive vaping", so Dr. Hays. It has not yet been clearly clarified whether passive smoking from e-cigarettes is dangerous. According to the doctor, this is very likely.
More asthma attacks from passive vaping
A study in Florida has already shown that second-hand smoke from e-cigarettes leads to more asthma attacks in children and adolescents. This is reported by the lung information service at the Helmholtz Center in Munich.
Data from around 70,000 schoolchildren between the ages of eleven and 17 were evaluated, 11,830 of whom had bronchial asthma. As the lung information service explains, around a third of them were exposed to secondhand smoke from electronic nicotine products. When asked whether they had suffered an asthma attack in the past twelve months, roughly one in five study participants answered "yes".
A look at the number of asthma attacks also showed that acute exacerbations of asthma occurred more frequently in children and adolescents who inhaled passive smoke from e-cigarettes and similar devices than in the comparison group.
The study authors emphasized, however, that further research is necessary to confirm this connection and also to better understand the long-term consequences. The results of the study were published in the journal "Chest".
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
more on the subject
- Live healthy,
- Passive smoking,
- E cigarette,
- Cardiovascular diseases,
- Lung cancer
- UNITED STATES,
- Why are people so afraid of mice?
- Has someone accidentally exposed himself or herself without knowing it?
- Why does the job search take so long
- What is the formula of uric acid
- Is belief reasonable?
- Why is the room not empty
- Are there grants for graduate schools?
- What does the word Pentatonix mean
- What actually means Gibbs free energy
- Which government did Plato believe in?
- How did explorers use stars to navigate
- How can I improve my english
- What do you call a male ladybug
- How safe is the internet really
- Psychotic disorders can cause almighty illusions
- How do you recognize a sociopath?
- What is the latest Google Analytics course available
- Californians say Cali
- What is the picture size
- What is your lifelong dream 1
- How does the telephone service work
- What are some lesser known royal families
- How much heat can a laser generate
- What if the citizens are not taxed?
- How do I increase my hair growth
- Will Brexit work?
- What's your favorite etymology
- Is NEET confirmed for 2017
- When is the moon in Libra?
- What is the Most Played Game by Blizzard Entertainments
- How to delete a Feedspot account
- Is it easy to get over someone
- Ireland is still divided
- What is a full stack front end developer