What is rabbit fish
Siganus sp. - rabbit fish - fox face
(Describes the genus formerly known as Lo, today generally known as the fox face.)
Siganus vulpinus - Yellow fox face
Siganus unimaculatus - dotted fox face
Siganus magnificus - Andamen fox face
Siganus uspi - Brown-yellow fox face
Available as offspring: No
Difficulty level: 4
See explanations below
This fish is mainly plant-based (herbivorous). Algae are suitable (growth algae, caulerpa, nori, wakame, dry food with a high proportion of algae
Supplement / additional feed:
Vegetables or fruit can occasionally be offered as additional / supplementary feed and to keep the animals busy, although they do not correspond to the natural feed. These include, for example, lettuce, dandelion, cucumber, carrot, but also banana.
Gender differences: no clear known
Suitable for community pools: Yes
- Individual keeping: recommended
- Pair keeping: only possible to a limited extent (see special features)
- Group housing: not possible
Habitat: Frequent swimmers, connected to the reef
Aquarium design: Loose reef structure with plenty of swimming space, live rock, algae growth.
- Fox faces live in pairs in nature, but putting them together is very difficult and should be reserved for experts.
- They are often recommended as so-called "problem solver animals" to free pools of excessive algae growth and naturally algae are also the main food of these animals.
- However, as is so often the case when you buy an animal for a specific "task", they don't always do what they are supposed to. The reasons for this are as varied as they are speculative; in many cases they eat the unwanted species of algae, but in just as many cases they do not. That is why we would basically not recommend buying fox faces or other animals just for a specific purpose, as these animals, if they do not meet the expectations placed in them, are often given back and this is unnecessary stress for the animal.
- Rabbit fish can get used to animal food (e.g. frozen food), but their organism is actually not prepared for protein-rich food and the animals can therefore quickly become fat. Since foxes also need a lot of food (algae are poor in nutrients) and that throughout the day, it is important to ensure that they are fed frequently or that there is sufficient algae growth. Furthermore, they like to eat sand for better digestion and sometimes "slurp" the biofilm (scum) from the surface of the water, which looks like they are gasping for air. Another hint: The amount that is eaten is of course also digested and that always means additional water pollution.
- Both the back and the underside of Siganus sp. are provided with poisonous spikes, so the fox face is a very defensive fish. The stings can be compared to wasp stings, not fatal to humans, but very painful. It is all the more surprising how fearful some specimens can be. A little too hectic in or in front of the aquarium and the animal can fall into real panic attacks and swims through the tank as fast as an arrow to find a safe hiding place. Therefore we ask for caution, because such a panic can end with jumping out of the pool or with serious injuries from the pool decoration.
- Rabbit fish are close relatives of the doctor fish, but they do not always understand each other. Animals with the same color in particular can clash, such as Siganus vulpinus and Zebrasoma flavescens (both yellow). With a view to the doctor's scalpels and the poisonous spines of the fox faces, one should choose the stocking very carefully.
- For camouflage, fox faces change their color to a mottled gray-brown. Especially in the rest phases they put on your "pajamas" and are almost undetectable, even if they are outside the reef.
Classification of difficulty level:
1 = easy to keep for coral tanks
2 = conditionally suitable for coral tanks
3 = only for fish aquariums, or strong predators
4 = only for advanced users
5 = only after detailed consultation, very difficult to keep
6 = Artaquarium, special expertise
- Should Ankit Srivastava's account be blocked
- What is meant by topology optimization
- What are mechatronics and electronics
- Which shows are leaving Netflix
- Can Crohn's disease be fatal
- How should I start my first business?
- What are pressure regulators
- What are some sentence examples with compatriot
- How much exercise does a dog need
- What is line in the recording
- What is tender stuffing
- What is the most peculiar musical instrument
- Whatever happened to the singer Ricky Martin
- When will Costco stop expanding?
- Isnt Charizard is considered a dragon
- Is pure water a solution?
- Can humanity exist without sheer selfishness
- What was Helen Keller's education
- Who discovered the chemical composition of water
- Which debate usually goes nowhere
- All inventors are scientists
- Who accepts Islam for the first time
- How do I invest in a Kickstarter
- Where are my posts on LinkedIn
- Are both sentences correct?
- Is BitDegree better than Udemy
- What does someone do Sakht Launda
- What is an example of the trouble law
- The most successful people are great at planning
- What is consequentialist ethics
- What is a court system
- Is paranoia a sign of PTSD
- Are Carroll's accusations against Trump lies