Can a plant survive when watered
The Small Inquiry: When is a Plant Dead?
Plants need water. If it has not rained for a long time or if people forget to water their potted plants, the plant slowly degrades: it collapses because the internal fluid pressure (turgor) decreases and it wilts. As soon as a cell loses more than 70 percent of its water, it can hardly be saved. There is mechanical damage to the cell walls, the cell and the genetic material slowly dissolve. If many cells die together, a plant organ also dies - e.g. the leaf.
Life means metabolism
If leaves die, this does not necessarily mean that the entire plant is dead. A plant consists of innumerable cells, approx. 70 different types of cells and several organs. As long as important organs are functional and can carry out crucial metabolic functions, the plant lives on. Photosynthesis is one of the most important metabolic functions.
Meristemes - really versatile
Whether a plant that has once stunted comes to again depends on the presence of a very special cell type, the so-called meristematic cells. If meristems are present and intact, the plant can regenerate any type of tissue. There are a particularly large number of meristematic cells in the root tips and in the still young bud.
Make two out of one
Cut flowers and sawed trees live on for a long time after the turning point. Plants capable of regeneration such as boxwood can, with the right care, even sprout again and form new roots. This does not work with conifers. With some plants, a cut creates, so to speak, one more life. The blooming tulip, for example, lives on for some time, and a new plant can later grow from the bulb.
Life after plant death?
Living plants carry out a metabolism, dead plants are no longer able to do so - this is the rule. Of course there are exceptions: some desert plants can remain in a dormant state for a long time without photosynthesis. During the dry season, the so-called resurrection plant looks completely dried out and dead. But as soon as it rains, the plant awakens to new life. Plant seeds do not photosynthesize either.
Diagnosis of death
It is not easy to determine the death of plants. You cannot rely on external characteristics. Just a look through the microscope reveals whether individual plant cells are still alive or not. If the cell structures are still intact, if an added dye is well absorbed and does not run, then the cells and probably also the examined plant organ are still full of life. But what about the other organs? The only practicable method is therefore this: water, fertilize and wait until next spring.
- Is sulfur naturally contained in raw oil
- Broadway shows are recorded
- Does microbiology require a degree in physics
- How is the robotic lab in Bristol
- What does DusuPay do
- Can diabetics eat berries?
- What is encryption of the EFS file system
- How do I feed in my tweets
- What is the situation like in an emergency?
- Should be capitalized on father and mother
- Where is the source of the internet
- Why are horses so easily frightened?
- What is the unit of time
- Which work harder ants or bees
- Why are children so restless in general
- What are storage silo manufacturers
- Why do people prefer Redmi over Samsung?
- What is one thing that Barack Obama has overcome
- What if the earth had 5 moons?
- What do you think of Leah Remini
- Why are constants needed for calculations
- Is there a Korean who lives in Pakistan
- What is a human zygote
- Let's fast on Eid day