How was the Titanic built
The world of NG: Discovery of the Titanic
Exactly 25 years ago - on September 1, 1985 - the wreck of the legendary "Titanic" was found.
The "Titanic" was considered unsinkable, a marvel of shipbuilding. In the early morning of April 15, 1912, on her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York, she sank southeast of Newfoundland after colliding with an iceberg. With it sank a good 1,500 passengers and crew members.
“I couldn't believe my eyes,” wrote the underwater archaeologist Robert “Bob” Ballard 73 years later in the cover story of our December 1985 issue. It was one of the greatest moments in the life of the researcher who works as a scientific advisor to the National Geographic Society. For months he and a French team had searched for the wreck of the "Titanic", which was resting at a depth of 3800 meters, analyzed currents, calculated positions and waited for good weather. In June 1985 the French ship “Le Suroit” examined the sea area with deep sonar. And finally the unmanned submersible “Argo” was launched. On the night of September 1, 1985 - 25 years ago - it recorded the first films of the "Titanic", which was broken into several parts, and a camera took photos.
Everything has changed since then. Souvenir hunters looted the ship, specialist companies enable diving tourism, the wreck is rotting away. In 2004 Ballard sent the robot "Hercules" down - and was appalled by the state of the "Titanic". On his initiative, Britain and the United States signed a treaty to protect the calm of the dead in the deep sea. But there are still trips to the most famous wreck in the world
(NG, issue 9/2010, page (s) 8)
- What is a typical meal in Luxembourg
- Can I text friends?
- Why do we need the police
- Redirects or duplicates of websites with multiple TLD languages
- Why do Mexicans like anime so much?
- Which bands do die-hard fans have
- How do I improve the complexion
- Can watching gay porn change my sexuality?
- Is the theater really dead?
- What is a land survey
- Is online sales legal in the UAE
- How does levodopa cause postural hypotension
- What is voltage and charge
- What is Squares Acquiring Bank
- What do toys learn
- What bird can swim in the water
- What is meant by Gadha in Hindi
- Is LIGO a SCAM
- How can I sing a sweet song
- There are toxins in cardboard
- Can SharePoint be used as a CRM
- How many addresses in the US
- Why doesn't WikiLeaks hack into large companies
- What is Windows 8
- How can I change my industry
- How should I learn AP Style
- What does Madre mean in Spanish
- Are library books unsanitary
- Why do pessimists call themselves realists?
- Is dead X24 in Logan
- What is the best tree for Lucknow
- What is a shark clasper
- How to become a Spotify artist