Can humans and reptiles be friends?
Snakes need friends too
Analyzing social networks of wildlife such as snakes "has made great strides in the last couple of decades," says study co-author Noam Miller. He is a comparative psychologist and Skinner's PhD supervisor.
This particular field of research is deepening and it is now common to use the word “friend” when referring to relationships between non-human animals.
In 2012, things looked different, Melissa Amarello can confirm. The herpetologist and director of Advocates for Snake Preservation was advised not to use the word "friends" in her research on rattlesnakes in Arizona.
“It's really great to see this study,” she says.
For their study, Miller and Skinner observed 40 young Eastern Garter Snakes. Of these, 30 were from mothers taken from the wild and 10 from a breed.
In order to be able to tell the animals apart, Skinner dotted each of them with non-toxic paints on the head. In his laboratory, he then kept ten of the snakes - mixed males and females - in terrariums with four plastic shelters each. Because he gave more snakes than shelters, the animals had to form groups.
For eight days, a camera recorded images of the terrarium every five seconds from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., so that the movements of the snakes could be traced. Skinner also took photos of the snake groups there twice a day. Then he took out the snakes, cleaned the entire terrarium, removed all smells and put them back - but in different places than before.
- Which is better HID or LED headlights
- What is Baal worship
- How is the camera quality of the Sony Xperia XZ
- What school invented the internet
- Is something like Catelyn Cersei
- Should I leave the game?
- What was Martin Luther King complaining about?
- How did Samurai Champloo end
- How to cook Indian dosa
- Which artist sang the song Go West
- What are LP LP rejections
- When is it okay to pretend to be someone?
- How many countries have a national animal?
- In which Puccini opera was Nessun Dorma to be seen?
- How can you relate to a horse
- How to Develop Remote Viewing Capabilities
- What if someone calls me stingy
- Why are you watching YouTube game videos
- What is meant by endangered animals
- How are you ugly and disgusting
- Which films spoil other films, no spoilers
- How can freelancers do business
- What is your most important family member
- Is Italian music popular in Spain