What does picture mean in this context
The Diptych in Art & Photography: Instructions for Designing Yourself
Have you ever heard of a diptych? No? If you google the term, the first thing you will come across is an antique tablet or an altar. In the course of art history, however, the diptych has evolved and is now a popular art form by photographers and artists. We'll show you what the diptych is all about and how you can easily use the art form for your own four walls.
What does diptych mean?
Let's start all over again. The word Diptych comes from the ancient Greek word díptychoswhich means "double folded". In ancient times the term was used for rectangular tablets made of ivory, wood or metal can be folded in the middle used. Their inner surfaces were covered with a layer of wax and thus served as a writing surface. But also Winged altars are called a diptych.
Famous diptychs are for example:
Incidentally, the majority of Diptych reads Diptychs.
Today the term diptych is mainly used in the Art and photography used. Basically, it denotes the Hanging two pictures next to each other that are thematically related. You can find out exactly what that means in the following article.
In addition to the diptych, there is also that triptych. Now that you already know what a diptych is, it is very easy to develop a triptych. It means threefold and comes from the Greek word tríptychos. It denotes a picture with two movable wings (see image). Mainly the term was used for Winged altars used. Today he also describes the Hanging of three pictures side by side, which thematically belong together.
In the following, however, we want to concentrate on the diptych and finally reveal to you what exactly constitutes a diptych today.
Create a diptych
As already described above, a diptych consists of two pictures that are thematically related. A diptych is comparable, for example, with two pictures in an open magazine. These also mostly have to do with each other thematically.
An example would be a diptych of a newlyweds. One picture shows the bride, the other the groom and together they make up the bride and groom.
Photograph a diptych
It is important that the images later harmonize not only in terms of content, but also visually. If you want to photograph a diptych yourself, you can follow these rules:
- Be sure to use the same shade.
- Use opposites (Standstill and movement, depth of field, detail and overview, emotions).
- Use Couples (Bridal couple, pasta and tomatoes, flower and butterfly).
- Look out for one uniform lines.
- Watch out for thesame shadow conditions.
- Use the same perspective (unless the perspective makes the difference).
The aim of a diptych is that the pictures say something together that they could not as individual pictures. In the end, the overall picture is the work of art.
Of course, diptychs do not necessarily have to be a photograph, but can also be painted, drawn or tinkered with. There are no limits to your creativity.
Create a diptych afterwards
If you have not already consciously thought of a diptych when taking the picture, you can also combine pictures with similar content afterwards.
Our tip: Load all the images that are available for selection into a Word document and combine different images until you get a nice and suitable diptych.
Correct hanging of a diptych
So that your diptych comes into its own and is recognized as such, you should note the following when hanging:
- Take advantage of the same picture frame for a harmonious sight.
- Hold that Distance between the picture frames closeso that the viewer immediately recognizes that the images belong together.
- Hold up enough distance to other picturesso that the diptych can work for itself.
Since the content of the picture is the main focus of a diptych, we recommend plain picture frames or canvases. There are also picture frames that have matching passe-partouts for two or three image sections. This is of course practical, but quickly looks squat. We therefore recommend hanging the pictures in individual frames.
Inspirations for diptychs
So that you can now get a feel for what exactly diptychs are, we have put together a few ideas for you. Perhaps one example or another inspires you to create your own diptych.
The thematic diptych
One of the more obvious diptychs is the direct thematic context. As you can see in the picture above, the objects are even connected to each other. But mother and daughter, for example, are also a beautiful diptych.
The perspective diptych
A very beautiful and easy to implement diptych is playing with perspective. The object can be seen once as an overview and once as a detailed image.
The before and after diptych
The classic before-and-after comparison also works as a diptych. For example the development of the baby bump during pregnancy or the preparation of a cake.
Color contrasts or an interplay can also result in a creative diptych and are a beautiful eye-catcher in your own four walls.
Are you looking for more inspiration for different hangings in addition to diptychs? In our article The 5 most beautiful picture hangings and how to attach them, we introduce you to various options with instructions.
In the end, the picture and the frame together result in a total work of art. That is why it is important to find the right frame for your picture. In the article Which frame fits which picture we have a few helpful tips for you. Now the work of art just has to be on the wall. We explain how to get it there in our How to Hang article: How to Hang Your Pictures Correctly.
Credit: Cover picture: © gettyimages / RakicN, 1st picture: © gettyimages / arnphoto, 2nd picture: © gettyimages / baloon111 3rd picture: © gettyimages / MediaProduction, 4th picture: © gettyimages / asbe, 5th picture: © gettyimages / alfredosanti , 6th picture: © gettyimages / Wavebreakmedia & © gettyimages / shapecharge, 7th picture: © gettyimages / Mariana Mikhailova, 8th picture: © gettyimages / Mariana Mikhailova, 9th picture: © gettyimages / lolostock, 10th picture: © gettyimages / lensblur, 11. Picture: © gettyimages / zoranm & © gettyimages / zoranm
← Which frame goes with which picture? Put picture frames in the limelight: 7 stylish living ideas for your home →
- What are some cute outfits to wear
- What are ferrous and non-ferrous minerals
- What is the difference between cocaine and antidepressants
- What has Occupy Wall Street achieved
- What is Pakistan's national gurdwara
- How should the Flickr product be redesigned
- What is the breakdown voltage of the MOSFET
- Why does research require creativity
- What are the most controversial mathematical theories
- Which BTS member has the best future
- Hire Infosys NIOS students
- Why are pharmaceutical commercials so common
- Will take over Apple Music Spotify
- Is Ariana Grande a bad singer
- Who was Lorenzo Lamas
- What is wind erosion
- How Uber blows through millions
- When did the Romans take over France?
- Which songs did Amy Lee cover
- How can I manage my retail business
- Was Interstellar an overrated movie
- Is everything really true on WikiLeaks
- The IISER entrance test is very difficult
- How do you recognize a sociopath?