Why do flowers smell
Why do roses often no longer smell at all - or just musty? Research is now also interested in this question
There is actually no shortage of rose varieties. Today more than 30,000 of them are registered, many of them based on creations from the heyday of rose growing in the 19th century.
But strange: about 90 percent of all breeds lose the fragrance of the parents' generation; and of the remaining "fragrances", about ten percent smell very differently than their predecessors: "Some then smell like pineapple," says biologist Jean-Claude Caissard from the University of Jean Monnet in Saint-Étienne.
Better to be able to be transported anywhere in the world instead of the scent of roses
Apparently, according to the researcher, it is very difficult to inherit the fragrance property through refinement. Especially since the desire for a longer and more frequent flowering time for the roses or for stronger colors is genetically quite incompatible with a strong fragrance. In addition, an intense smell is often associated with less resistant petals - which makes it more difficult to transport fragrant roses over long distances.
In favor of worldwide transportability and appearance, especially internationally active cut rose producers deliberately forego the smell. The largest companies of this type - in East Africa and South America - only sell two types of roses that have been optimized for their transport needs.
Monkey Orchids Co. Ten bizarre plants to marvel at10 images
Orchid Extravagances of Botany10 images
GEO No. 07/15 - Telltale traces#Subjects
- Which company is running the grocery stamp program?
- Kirito is bisexual
- Which pancake best describes you
- Why do INFPs hate to be teased?
- You can apply to MIT in May
- How many people visit Universal Studios every day
- What is the cement calculated formula
- Who sings the song Go In
- What are some interesting facts about Qatar
- My age of 16 will affect investor perspectives
- How do UK mortgages work
- What are meat and cheese made of?
- How do I simulate traffic
- How many houses can a person own
- The television news dies
- Is most of eBay's serioes
- How are thyroid problems diagnosed
- What is John Locke's definition of democracy
- Did Vikings eat cinnamon rolls
- What is the runtime delay
- When did David Bowie make it big?
- What is Laravel Forge
- What happened to Stitcher's failure in February 2016
- What makes trees stand upright