How can I run Eclipse on the iPad
Development environment: Eclipse 2020-12 with numerous extensions
The 14 IDE packages are available for Windows, Linux and macOS. In Linux, Eclipse now supports 64-bit ARM processors in addition to x86. This means that the IDE can be run natively on a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4, for example, without a slowing x86 emulator. The new Eclipse version contains adjustments and corrections for macOS 11 alias Big Sur. Apple's own new ARM processor M1 is not yet supported natively.
Java 15 built in
Support for Java 15, which had to be installed in the previous Eclipse version, is now built in. Code coverage, for recording test coverage, now works with Java 15. Text blocks and multi-line strings that were a preview feature in Java 14 are now final and can be used productively. The two preview features "Pattern Matching for instanceof" and "Records" remained the same or syntactically unchanged compared to Java 14. Only the "Sealed Classes" are new. They only allow certain classes to inherit from them, which can be useful with interfaces. In Eclipse, text blocks can be created using keyboard shortcuts and records can be created using a dialog. If a class that extends a sealed class is missing "sealed", "non-sealed" or "final", this can be corrected using a quick fix (Ctrl + 1).
Clean up Java code
Code completion behaves differently in two ways. On the one hand, existing items are overwritten by default. To prevent this, the Ctrl key must be pressed instead of the other way around. On the other hand, the IDE inserts the most suitable one as a parameter instead of the parameter name. In Eclipse 2020-12 there are 27 new functions for cleaning up Java source code, all of which come from the AutoRefactor plug-in. Clean-up functions can be applied manually to projects, packages or files or executed automatically as save actions when a file is saved. The new functions delete unnecessary or duplicated code, use new language features, adhere to a predefined style or optimize the code in terms of speed and memory consumption.
In the look of the operating system
A new user interface called "System" has been added to the existing light and dark modes. The system theme takes over the colors and appearance from the operating system. It can be activated in the settings in General | Appearance. The Eclipse team has also revised the light mode in macOS: toolbars, status bar and backgrounds now shine in white instead of gray.
RIP - Farewell to Dani
During the development of the Eclipse 2020-12 release, Daniel Megert, Eclipse developer from the very beginning, died unexpectedly. Even before Eclipse became open source in 2001, he was part of the original team at Object Technology International in Zurich, Switzerland. Daniel Megert most recently headed the Eclipse Platform and Java Development Tools (JDT) projects.
Upgrade or download
More details and the respective innovations of the Eclipse projects involved in the edition can be found on the website for the 2020-12 release. The new Eclipse IDE packages can be installed via the Eclipse Installer or downloaded as a ZIP file. The update of an existing Eclipse IDE can be done via Help | Initiate Check for Updates (in the case of slightly older versions, the "Latest Eclipse Release" update site must be activated).
(map)Read comments (19) Go to homepage
Mondays and Thursdays - everything from heise Developer
- Which professional sports teams represent 2 states
- What is a baper in Indonesian
- Still using a flip phone
- How does IP address blocking work
- What is a Multi Level Marketing Company
- Why are digraphs and dipthongs classified separately
- How was your experience at RYK
- What are the advanced transcendental meditation techniques
- What is online citizen journalism
- What programming languages does Airbnb use
- What are the characteristics of a bird watcher
- Which is better HID or LED headlights
- What is data warehouse in IT
- How can I add Gmail to Outlook?
- Psychopaths are thrill seekers
- Are there companies without patents?
- Was Abraham Lincoln bipolar or just depressed
- Why do some buses vibrate?
- Are you from the ghetto where
- What are advanced business analytics skills
- What is required SAT score for KAIST
- Is Amazon's Echo devices anti-competitive in terms of price
- How does an automated trading system work
- What is an Facultative Aerobic Organism
- Is western civilization really dead
- What are the best RAM for workstation
- Where is the best medical school?
- Which is the best AI chat bot
- Gravitational waves reach the earth
- Wikivoyage is useful
- What is the importance of graphology
- How do gas planets work