What is Windows 8
Windows 8 or 10: advantages and disadvantages in comparison
With Windows 10, Microsoft is entering a new era: The current operating system is continuously supplied with updates and new features and runs on smartphones and tablets in addition to PCs. The predecessor Windows 8 is also still supported, but has to struggle with a bad reputation - right? In comparison, we show whether you should opt for Windows 8 or Windows 10.
Advantages and disadvantages of Windows 8
Windows 8 is unpopular with most users: The lack of a start menu and, at best, the controversial Metro design are among the main reasons. The update to Windows 8.1 brought some improvement, but the core problems remained.
- Windows 8 is one of the most radical steps in the history of the Windows OS. Microsoft said goodbye to the classic layout and replaced it with the Metro design (also modern UI). The tiles should improve the usability on tablets and hybrid devices.
- Microsoft may have actually succeeded in doing this, but users of conventional desktop PCs felt left out. The control of the operating system via mouse and keyboard leaves a lot to be desired.
- The missing start button was a particular problem, but it is available again in Windows 8.1.
- However, Windows 8 is not there without any merits. The charms bar, for example, is nice for quick access to certain system functions such as search and settings. Compared to the predecessor, the faster connection to WLAN hotspots and the significantly accelerated system start are also significant.
Advantages and disadvantages of Windows 10
Most of these advantages are retained in Windows 10 and are combined with useful new features and a much more practical user interface.
- The user interface of Win10 is more reminiscent of Windows 7 and is therefore much more usable on the PC than that of Windows 8. However, Microsoft has not completely dropped the tiles, depending on the setting they can be found in the start menu, for example. This is a pleasure for users of smartphones and tablets and is hardly at the expense of desktop users.
- The new voice assistant program Cortana can, for example, take over the search on Bing or the appointment management. The functionality is reminiscent of Apple's Siri and Google Now.
- The new Microsoft browser Edge, which replaces the now optional Internet Explorer as the standard program, is available exclusively for Windows 10. Edge manages without the many legacies of IE, is significantly faster and therefore does not have to shy away from comparison with Chrome or Firefox. However, the availability of add-ons is still very limited.
- The new virtual desktops, with which you can switch between different work surfaces, are practical.
- DirectX 12 is interesting for gamers. The new graphics standard is intended to improve the performance of games and is supported by some current and many upcoming titles. DirectX 12 only works under Windows 10. You can find an overview of the compatible graphics cards via the link.
- Since Windows 10 runs on all types of devices, you can conveniently sync data and use it anywhere. To do this, however, you have to register with a Microsoft account.
- The constant, automatic distribution of updates ensures the highest possible level of security.
- The Microsoft Store is controversial: Users get numerous programs for the Windows platform here, but experts fear that Microsoft is too much of a control.
- Data protection under Windows 10 is also a topic of discussion. Microsoft collects significantly more data by default than in previous versions. However, you can determine the transmission of this telemetry data yourself in numerous setting options.
Windows 8 or Windows 10 - which is the better operating system?
In retrospect, Windows 8 looks like an experimental intermediate step to Windows 10: The new version is more sophisticated, more user-friendly, and more secure. Windows 10 manages the balancing act between PC and tablet use without compromising too much. So when faced with a choice, go for the latest Microsoft OS. The update will be available free of charge for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users until July 29, 2016.
Microsoft: 10 reasons to update to Windows 10
You can find our most important practical tips for Windows 10 via the link.
(Tip originally written by: Florian Eletzhofer)
- Why should NOT choose another spouse
- Is loneliness a personality disorder
- Please solve question number 4
- Why has Johannesburg become less safe?
- What bird can swim in the water
- What temperature is required for superconductivity
- Who gave Shiva Trishul
- How long do Raffi concerts last
- Are squids endangered
- Is video plagiarism legal?
- How can I buy something from Spain
- Why the UK is better for legal education
- Is stealth attraction real
- What some money can buy but shouldn't
- Why is the earth at 13
- Laser eye surgery is becoming cheaper
- How do I update my PC's RAM
- Someone overcomes their fear of fighting
- Why didn't BlaBlaCar expand into the US?
- What are some inventory ratios
- Why did Apple kill iTunes
- Whatever happened to the Dire Straits
- How do I create a PDF password
- You can design your own orthodontic holder