Roasting a turkey will reduce its flavor
Can I reduce the salty taste after roasting a turkey?
Not all brines are created equal. You may have added too much salt to your solution or you left your chicken brine too long.
Brining is the technique of soaking meat in a dilute salt solution until the dissolved salt penetrates the muscle tissue. You shoot for a final concentration of about 0.5% salt. The challenge with frying is that deep inside the meat is just as salty as the meat outside. Unfortunately, a steep salt gradient can easily occur.
The traditional approach of soaking meat in a strong salt solution requires you to pull it out at the right moment - without the hard to reach the equivalent of a thermometer for measuring salinity. If you let the meat rest, the salt gradient can even out a bit, but an over-salted exterior and under-salted interior are unavoidable.
A modernist approach soaks the meat for long periods of time (up to 24 hours) in a solution with a salt concentration just slightly above the target value of 0.5%. The risk of over-salting is excluded. You will need a brine injector or a syringe.
This brine is well suited for poultry:
- Stir water and salt together to make brine.
- Inject the saline solution all over the meat as evenly as possible. Insert the needle into the neck and back cavities to avoid piercing the skin.
- Chill the salted chicken, uncovered, for 24 hours.
Note: The brine can be kept indefinitely before use. Roasted poultry can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours (i.e. cook between 24 and 48 hours after roasting).
Modernist kitchen at home: pages 133, 238
Tim Post ♦
- What is a rare cable
- Are you a catholic priest
- What was so appealing about JFK
- Lithium hydroxide is toxic
- What is the main solution to itching
- God is an energy
- What is log 1 base 1
- What does Farz mean in Urdu
- What is advertising space
- How to make a quark circle
- Why are no lottery tickets taxed?
- How do marketers deceive us?
- If 73 48x 36 what is x
- What are your favorite shayaris on the eyes
- How did Japan's coffee culture develop?
- What are the moving and storage services
- Why is federalism not good
- How many addresses in the US
- What are the best self-publishing platforms
- What did ancient astronomers know about planets
- How to fix brow shaping errors
- Are cigarette butts rubbish
- What is causality
- How old is Jason Statham