How good was Sourav Ganguly's captain
Cricket stars are more expensive to advertise than old football legends
In Europe, the Indian Super League has only received attention so far because the older stars can now switch to extremely lucrative early retirement in India as well as the USA or Qatar. David Trezeguet, Joan Capdevila and Luis Garcia have already signed. Players like Freddie Ljungberg, Robert Pires and Alessandro del Piero should follow.
However, very few Indians know these names, which are famous in Europe. Robin van Persie, James Rodriguez or Thomas Müller could just as easily switch to the new league - and the sports heroes in India would continue to be called Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Ishant Sharma and Virat Kohli. All cricketers.
For advertising stars, the ISL has to use cricket again. And so far, the league has succeeded at least outside of the field. When the various teams were auctioned off, two well-known cricketers got on too. Sachin Tendulkar, the most popular Indian in history after Gandhi, bought a team in his hometown of Kochi. Former national team captain Sourav Ganguly bought the team from Calcutta together with Spanish soccer champion Atletico Madrid. Tendulkar's participation was arguably the ISL's biggest commercial win to date. The little man sells better in India than Neymar in Brazil. His mere presence increases the charisma of the football league immensely. Ganguly's entry, however, shows a different method. With a big cricket name next to a big football name at its side, "Atletico de Kolkata" tries to bring India's few established football fans under one banner with the millions of cricket fans.
Both Tendulkar and Ganguly see the Indian Super League not only as a business opportunity, but also apparently as a social duty. According to his own statement, Tendulkar wants to "support other sports in India". Ganguly wants the ISL to have “an infrastructure like cricket, so that young people can have other opportunities”.
An important point. Because the hegemony of cricket also means that there is a lack of alternatives for many young athletes in India. If the ISL succeeded in making Indian football a bit more prominent, the football world would have a new source of talent. The commercial and cultural dominance of cricket is never broken in India. Ganguly, Tendulkar and Co. want to show their country that there is something else.
- What is a computer cable
- What are the best tips for freelancers in 2019
- What do Americans think of Francois Hollande?
- Why does Argentina always lose the football final?
- How do I get Kim Kardashian's body
- Has anyone analyzed Donald Trump's handwriting?
- Is the god game genre dead
- Do you laugh really loud
- Could Kanye West win a presidential election?
- Lumia 925 will receive a Windows 10 update
- What is the circumference of a semicircle
- How were your results for the 12th Board 2017
- What are the diseases of old people
- How can I learn 3D programming
- Were there ever pirates in New Orleans
- What really makes you angry
- Why is parallelism control important
- Have Christians rejected good luck wishes
- Have you ever had mulled wine?
- Is a BSc better than Engineering 1
- What is an aerophone
- Can a cucumber be pickled
- Cheese tastes good